Current Career Opportunities
Monkhouse Law Class Actions Associate
Monkhouse Law is offering an opportunity to put your law degree to good use, by helping those in need. Monkhouse Law is a truly Canadian law firm that is uniquely positioned to help our clients achieve their ambitions in today’s challenging employment market.
Monkhouse Law is a social-justice oriented law firm. We represent mainly employees terminated from their jobs but also small and medium sized business with their human resource issues.
Monkhouse Law has been involved in major litigation including major changes to the law in Ontario regarding bonuses, stock option plans, longer notice periods for those accused of cause, the standard required to accuse managers of fraud, and access to justice through recovery of costs from defendants among numerous other cases.
Monkhouse Law has been recognized as the top growing law firm in Canada and North America by the Globe and Mail and the Financial times respectively.
NOTE: We will only be considering candidates who are licenced lawyers in Ontario. We will not be accepting those seeking licencing, articling, or NCA positions.
Position: We are currently seeking a Class Actions Associate (2017-2022 Call)
Term: Requesting 1-year commitment from candidates, position is however, permanent.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, competitive with comparable downtown employment and labour boutique firms.
- Management of files from beginning to end at various stages of negotiation and litigation;
- Working independently and following instructions from senior counsel;
- Regular interaction with new and current clients;
- Effective management of deadlines and priorities;
- Supervising and delegating to direct support staff;
- Legal research and drafting of legal documents;
Preferred Candidates Skills/Requirements:
· Team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a positive attitude;
· Strong knowledge of computer systems including PC and Mac;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
· Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
Monkhouse law started the first misclassification class action in Canada (Sondhi v. Deloitte) and Canada’s first ‘vacation short-changing’ class action (Singh v. RBC Insurance) as well as Morris v. Solar Brokers et al, the first employment class action to personally name the directors of the Defendant. Monkhouse Law has settled numerous class actions and has 14 current ongoing class actions, including national class actions.
Ideal Experience, Skills, Competencies:
- Interest in class proceedings procedure and regulations;
- Experience in legal research and drafting of documents such as factums and motion records;
- Willingness to work to find representative plaintiffs and media relations relating to class actions;
- Good law school grades and/or publications;
- Strong analytical and research skills;
Preferred Candidate Requirements:
· Past Class Actions experience is required, preferably relating to Employment Law experience is required.
Application: You can apply through Linkedin or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your law school grades, two writing samples, resume and cover letter with subject line relevant to the position. Subject line if by Email: “Class Action Associate”
See job listing on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/
Monkhouse Law, an employment law firm, is currently looking for a friendly, positive and hard-working individual for an Entry Level Paralegal Associate role.
Experience and Skills Required:
- Paralegal Diploma/Degree;
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario; or recently completed internship
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook
- High organization skills and strong time management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner
- Excellent multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to prioritize and follow instruction
- Work independently and as a team
- Ability to work under pressure and complete time sensitive tasks
The employee is required to perform the following duties and undertake the following responsibilities in a professional manner:
- Drafting legal documents, reviewing legal documents including but not limited to Lawyer’s Letters, Statements of Claim, Reply and Defence to Counterclaim, Mediation Briefs, Affidavit of Documents, etc.
- Assisting with client intake, in person and over the phone
- Answering and directing phone calls
- Drafting promotional and other materials
- Administrative Tasks including but not limited to file organization, scanning documents, data entry, etc.
- Other duties may arise from time and time and may be assigned to the employee
Wage: Commensurate with experience
Term: Indefinite with a one year commitment by the successful applicant.
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent, Schedule: 8 hour shift
Application: Please provide cover letter, resume and most recent post-secondary education transcript (if possessed). NO PHONE CALLS. You can apply by email to email@example.com. Subject line in Email: “Paralegal Associate”
See job listing on Indeed: https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Law%20Paralegal%20monkhouse&l=Toronto,%20ON&vjk=96865a33159b1b5e