Monkhouse Law offers opportunities to put your law degree to good use, by helping those in need. Monkhouse Law is a truly Canadian law firm that is uniquely positioned to help our clients achieve their ambitions in today’s challenging employment market. Monkhouse Law has been recognized as the top growing law firm in Canada and North America by the Globe and Mail and the Financial times respectively.
Monkhouse Law is a social-justice oriented employment law firm. We represent mainly employees terminated from their jobs but also small and medium sized business with their human resource issues.
Monkhouse Law has been involved in major litigation including major changes to the law in Ontario regarding bonuses, stock option plans, longer notice periods for those accused of cause, the standard required to accuse managers of fraud, and access to justice through recovery of costs from defendants among numerous other cases.
Current Career Opportunities
Class Actions Associate
Posted: April 1, 2022
We are currently seeking a Class Actions Associate (2017-2022 Call)
Term: Requesting 1-year commitment from candidates, position is however, permanent.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, competitive with comparable downtown employment and labour boutique firms.
- Management of files from beginning to end at various stages of negotiation and litigation;
- Working independently and following instructions from senior counsel;
- Regular interaction with new and current clients;
- Effective management of deadlines and priorities;
- Supervising and delegating to direct support staff;
- Legal research and drafting of legal documents;
Preferred Candidates Skills/Requirements:
- Team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a positive attitude;
- Strong knowledge of computer systems including PC and Mac;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
Monkhouse Law started the first misclassification class action in Canada (Sondhi v. Deloitte) and Canada’s first ‘vacation short-changing’ class action (Singh v. RBC Insurance) as well as Morris v. Solar Brokers et al, the first employment class action to personally name the directors of the
Ideal Experience, Skills, Competencies:
- Interest in class proceedings procedure and regulations;
- Experience in legal research and drafting of documents such as factums and motion records;
- Willingness to work to find representative plaintiffs and media relations relating to class actions;
- Good law school grades and/or publications;
- Strong analytical and research skills;
Preferred Candidate Requirements: Past Class Actions experience preferably relating to Employment Law.
Job Posting on Indeed
Application: Please submit your law school grades, two writing samples, resume and cover letter with subject line relevant to the position to email@example.com with Subject Line: “Class Action Associate”
Class Action Litigation Support Clerk
Posted: April 1, 2022
Type of Position: Full-Time
Location: Toronto, ON (Hybrid WFH/In-Office)
Our team is expanding and Monkhouse Law is seeking someone to complement our team as a Litigation Support Clerk.
All submissions should be made by April 10, 2022.
Experience and Skills Required:
- High level organization skills
- Willingness to learn new processes
- Competent in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiar with the Google Suite of Software (Google Drive, Docs, etc.)
- Professional communication skills
- Highly detailed orientated
- Excellent multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to work under pressure and complete time sensitive tasks
- Litigation support experience an asset, but candidates with strong administrative backgrounds will be competitive
The employee is required to perform the following duties and undertake the following responsibilities in a professional manner:
- Organizing and maintaining digital client files
- Duties include file organization, data entry, calendar management, document proofreading/formatting, use of court legal software for document management, and prioritization of tasks
- Answer inbound calls/emails from potential Class Members
- Knowledge of the Ontario Rules of Civil Procedure
- Administrative tasks including but not limited to file organization, scanning documents, data entry, etc.
- Other duties may arise from time and time and may be assigned to the employee
Wage: Commensurate with experience
Term: Indefinite with a one-year commitment by the successful applicant.
Expected start date no later than April 20, 2022
Job Posting on Indeed
All submissions for Class Action Litigation Support Clerk should be made to: firstname.lastname@example.org by April 10, 2022.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please email email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted directly. No telephone inquiries, please.